Quitting video games can be one of the most daunting things a gamer can ever do. For some, the idea of quitting video games can bring on a sense of overwhelm and anxiety because they are uncertain what to do with their life after walking away from something that helped shape their identity. As a matter of fact, it can be extremely difficult for anybody who is thinking about restarting their life because they may feel like their starting from the bottom again, regardless of what they did before.
Let me say that I know how difficult it is to quit gaming. Video games have helped shape our identity and so it’s not like we’re simply walking away from something that was holding us back from starting our future, for some of us, it can feel like we are walking away from who we thought we were as a person, and that can feel terrible!
And to make matters worse, it’s common knowledge that most people don’t even enjoy their careers and as a matter of fact, a recent Gallop pole revealed that only 15% of the world’s one billion full-time workers are engaged at work and if you happen to live in Japan, a staggering 94% of are not engaged with their jobs. So if working in the real world is as miserable as it seems, why would you ever be excited to leave your video gaming life behind?
So in this article, I’m going to share 5 benefits to help you get excited about starting a new life away from video games and other digital distractions!
5. You can do whatever you want. When you shift your focus from your digital distractions to your future, you have an opportunity to choose how you move forward. And regardless of what kind of life that you see everyone around you is living, you don’t have to model anything that you see these people doing. In fact, no matter what stage in life you are starting from, you have an opportunity right now to jot down five ideas that you have always wanted to learn more about. These can be things like working with animals at a zoo or marina for example, and it can be something more adventurous like being a tour guide in a foreign city you have always wanted to live in. If there is something that you have always wanted to, then this is your chance to begin this new adventure.
4. You get to meet new people. One of the things that I enjoy most about my life is that I get to meet new people. The world is full of fascinating people who are actually living amazing lives and when you meet someone that you find interesting, it then can make your life more interesting! You see, behind every new set of eyes is a new skill, a new story, and new opportunities. And when you start to develop these new relationships, amazing things can happen, and your life can go in new directions that you may never have thought possible. Most importantly, you can build new friendships and if you haven’t already, meet the new love of your life!
3. You can develop new skills. When you set out to start this new life, it’s inevitable that you will develop new skills. Now if you make the decision to start a new life that involves one of your interests that we talked about earlier, then you are gaining experience and believe it or not, any experiences that you have had leading up to this new experience actually helps you to build your new skill in a matter that is unique to you, and yes, that even means you gamers! And the more you do something that your interested in, the speed in which you learn whatever it is that your doing actually increases making you even more proficient at it. You even start to become a more interesting person to other people as your skills grow and people will begin to find you more relatable as a result and you will begin to draw new people and new people may mean new opportunities.
2. You can discover new passions. When you begin doing something that you are getting better at, you may begin to develop a passion for it! When this happens, money stops becoming the primary factor for you wanting to get better at something and instead, what you do becomes more meaningful to you which will hold your passion for much longer than people who are working jobs that they hate because they chose to chase the money instead which explains why so many people are not engaged with work. When you become passionate with your work, you get excited to go to bed and become excited to wake up every morning as well because you are looking forward to starting a new day. When you’re passionate about what you do, your more likely to work longer hours which may mean more money, you begin to enjoy solving problems and nothing will deter you from wanting to achieve success! And hey, you’re living a happier life!
1. You can change the world. When you find your passions and begin to develop skills in your chosen career, people begin to take notice of you and will begin to pay attention to your opinions on matters in which you show proficiency and expertise in. You become more aware of your industry and will develop new ideas that can influence and change the ways things have always been done in your industry. You may become more critical of how you spend and invest your money as well, and you may begin to invest your money into certain groups that you support thereby increasing their influence and effect. You might even create your own group that other people will love and support as well. When you start to support your local communities and in time, support your global communities, you will become a person of influence who will have the ability to change your world. Who knows, maybe one day you may run for Prime Minister or President!
Life after video games doesn’t have to be something to dread and avoid if you have a blueprint that will give you all of the tools and strategies that you need to establish clarity for your life. Life can in fact be something that brings you great joy and satisfaction and trust me, the world could use more people like you.
If you would like to learn more about quitting video games and discovering what your true purpose and meaning is, then visit davedaoust.com to learn more.